By Alan Graner
A call to action should be an essential part of any marketing sales piece: ads, blogs, white papers, direct response, email marketing, brochures, websites, videos.
Unfortunately, most people are naturally inert. They’re not going to respond to your sales pitch unless you persuade them to act now.
But they can’t act unless you tell them exactly what you want them to do: call this number, send for your free sample, click here, write to your Congressperson, join us tomorrow, buy now.
So, how do you get them off their butts and to act now? Here are a few suggestions.
Make your call to action urgent
People see your offer, they like it, and maybe they’ll do something about it. Tomorrow.
One way to create urgency is to create scarcity:
- Only the first 10 callers….
- Limit 1 per person
- Only 25 left at this price
- Last time we sold our inventory in just 3 hours
- When they’re gone, they’re gone
Use time limits
This is another form of scarcity but, instead of limited products, there is limited time.
- Special one day only sale
- At the end of the month this offer is history
- If you respond within the next 20 minutes…
Offer a premium
People are often hungry for information. Offer it to them in the form of a free report, e-book, white paper, download.
- Get this free report, “How to double your income in the next 12 months
- Send for our free e-book, “The 12 Best Places to Retire”…
- Download our free white paper, “The 5 Laser Types and How to Choose the Best One for Your Lab”
- Click here for our free report, “10 Things Your Dentist Doesn’t Want You to Know”
For an even more powerful call to action, let readers know your premium is available for a limited time only.
Make your call to action an event
Invite people to a special event you sponsor where your products/services may be displayed or where they can meet key executives.
- Sign up for the Run to End Diabetes
- A must-attend, hands-on exhibit of child safety devices that could save lives.
- This weekend only, meet the people who are hiring in the medical field
- Attend our open house and get a free engine diagnostic
Remember: if people don’t act, you don’t sell.
What other call to action techniques have you found to be effective?
Alan Graner is Chief Creative Officer at Daly-Swartz Public Relations, an Orange County, CA marketing communications firm. You too can have an effective PR campaign that makes your company, products and/or services memorable, but only if you email Jeffrey Swartz at email@example.com.